Today marks 1 week in Washington, DC. I really enjoy where I work and my co-workers are very friendly and knowledgeable. I am getting used to my neighborhood and starting to recognize my neighbors and the local crazies.
I ventured out to the National Cherry Blossom Festival today. The metro stations were packed with people unfamiliar with the Metro etiquette. When I descended upon the Washington Monument, there were millions of people in the area. As part of the festival, today was the kite flying event. It was cute to watch families trying to fly kites and having picnics.
I walked to the Tidal Basin along with thousands of other people and listened to conversations in many different languages. The trees were in bloom and very pretty. I continued around to the Jefferson Memorial and got a great view of the White House and rest of the city. There are many other events happening between now and April 11, 2010 that I plan on attending.
I walked down the Mall to a different Metro stop and came back to my house. As I was coming up the escalator, I saw a woman in a burka. A smile crossed my face because I am realizing how international this city is and I love it!
I stopped at Julia's empanadas for lunch today. I think I may have found a new vice!
As, I write this, I am listening to my neighbors music at a birthday party. I am enjoying a random selection of Spanish hip-hop to traditional mariachi bands. I guess that is life in the Heights.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment